welcome to sundownloader
Sundownloader is an exciting new patented invention: a fixed mirror that always reflects light downwards. It has no need for lenses, moving parts, motors, wires, power, or controls. It is just a mirror, and it is always on when the sun is on.
The mirror’s curved face is precisely engineered to follow the curved path of the sun as it passes through the sky, and the patented curvature takes into account the differences between the short days of winter and the long mornings and evenings of summer.
No moving parts. No wires. No motors or controls. It is stationary, and it is always on.
No matter where the sun is in the sky, a sundownloader always reflects sunlight downwards. Any time, any day, any season
The mirror's curved face follows the curved path of the sun across the sky, and takes into account latitude, season and time
Australian Patent No. 2015376131. Further patent applications pending in many locations including Europe, USA, Canada, Russia, India, NZ & China. Priority date 09/01/15 WO 2016/110669
watch THE video
See how Sundownloader works, and the possibilities for application in both Commercial and Domestic Retail markets
Greenhouses are usually orientated along a North-South axis, presenting their long sides to East and West. Industrial-scale greenhouses are built in blocks, and low-level light in the centre houses is obscured by plants in the outside houses
Sundownloaders could add a precious couple of hours of sunlight a day. If artificial lighting is used to enhance sunlight, then substantial savings might be possible
- A Sundownloader directs sunlight to where it can be most useful. It moves where the sun shines from one place to another, reducing waste and improving efficiency, continuously, at a running-cost of zero.
- There is no net increase in solar energy absorbed by the earth and no net warming effect: the energy is simply moved to where you need it. There is nothing inherently greener than sunlight growing plants.
Public & private buildings
- A sundownloader brings an entirely new perspective on how light can be managed and directed effectively and efficiently. Architects continually look to include natural light in their designs. Light brings warmth and heat, which must be managed, and the sky also brings other kinds of weather, which must be controlled. Natural sunlight is often the casualty when these concerns conflict. Sundownloader resolves these conflicts.
- Sundownloader enables growing of fruit, flowers and vegetables in dark corners or shadowed garden areas or courtyards
- Sundownloader can bring much needed sunlight to lighten dark basement apartments, extending sunlight intensity and lengthening available sunlight hours in the day
Alleys, courtyards, sunken gardens can all be enhanced by simple, inexpensive static sundownloaders
How it works
The sun moves
The sun moves: from sunrise in the east to sunset in the west, it gains height until mid-day then sinks again. In winter the sun rises and sets further to the south and has a lower mid-day height.
In summer, the sun gets higher at mid-day and rises and sets north of east and west. The range of the sun through the seasons resembles a band, or visor, pictured here in yellow.
The traditional solution is a heliostat, a movable mirror that has to be continually adjusted to track the position of the sun.
Now we have the Sundownloader.
The mirror does not
A sundownloader is a fixed mirror.
It does not need to move, unlike a heliostat, where a flattish mirror has to be rotated and tilted to compensate for the fact that the sun is in continuous motion. Sundownloader presents a continuously-curved reflective face towards the sun, no matter where it is.
It is a stationary mirror, subtly-shaped, re-directing light to where it is most needed; convex to avoid over-heating; curved differently at each compass direction, avoiding the need for any movement or adjustment during use.
the future is HERE
The world needs greener sources of light and energy for a sustainable future. It needs cost effective methods to feed the ever increasing populations. With Sundownloader, the future is here.
We are seeking collaborators, investors and licencees to develop Sundownloader for eventual commercial production and retail distribution.
We continue to invest in research and development of new applications for this invention, and in the short term are seeking collaboration with commercial growers, glasshouse designers and manufacturers and horticultural researchers.
Get in touch
04 Frobisher House, Dolphin Square, London SW1V 3LL
CANADA: 682-1771 Robson St, Vancouver V6G 1C9
AUSTRALIA: Mitcham, Melbourne, 3136
Phone : +447810311742
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org